Maybe God wishes to teach me a thousand new things, move me from being in a thousand different directions to just ONE, and show me a thousand reasons to BLESS his name. Maybe that is why He moved me 1,000 miles away.

Friday, October 3, 2008

Common Ground

Tonight we had a group of kids over to play some yard games. The fun began at 4:30 with soccer, backyard soccer (this got kinda brutal), a break for supper, flag football, capture the flag, charades, and then night tag. Breaks were taken to play a game of cards inside, or play with the cute baby on a blanket

The guest list: one 5 year old, one six year old, one 7 year old, two 8 year olds, one 9 year old, two 10 year olds, three 11 year olds, one 12 year old, one 13 year old. All the kids ran around and played capture the flag in the dark and had a great time.

Many people would suspect that having kids ages 5-13, boys and girls, playing games is a recipe for disaster! However, these kids found enough common ground to have a great time together for 4 1/2 hours....and all went home tired and happy. I love it when kids get together and behave so counter culture.

5 comments:

RealMom4Life said...

That sounds like a blast. I'd be worried about how to balance it all myself but you are so good at making fun memories for your kids. Looks like you may be earning the title of Fun House on the Block in PA also!

Kerri said...

Shelly,
If our block did have a fun house, it certainly was the household combined between us! The way the kids ran back and forth, I wonder if a infrequent visitor would be able to tell which kid lived where on some days!

RealMom4Life said...

You're right - it did have a lot to do with the kids just feeling comfortable at either house and running back and forth.

One time when Maria was at your house some worker outside thought she was one of your kids! She was probably there every day he was! She didn't have a problem with that.

Do you remember (well - you heard about it but I remember it vividy because it was sooo funny) - the time Jackson was standing in my kitchen talking to John and I (probably looking for food at 4:45 or so) and the phone rang next to him and he just instinctively answered it - but he didn't say anything - he just stared at me in total shock - like he did something very wrong. I had to tell him to say hello (I think my hands were in the sink or something). Then it was you on the phone and I heard you saying, "Jackson, why did you answer their phone?!!" You sounded a little shocked and I think you thought he was doing something wrong too. Anyway, it was so very funny to me.

Kids are playing more around here again - it's good - not as good as it was - but it's good. However, I still don't ask other kids to do things around here like Chloe and Jackson. I had absolutely no problem asking them to put something in another room for me or to get something for me if they were just waiting for my kids - and they just did it.

Kerri said...

i remember that!
I also treated your kids like my own and they were always more than willing to pitch in and help clean something up, or set the table, etc.
We talk of those days now as the "glory days" and are thankful that we had those years as many people never get the chance to have such friendships!

Maria Gianna said...

Mom, do you honestly think that if Jackson got on the computer and onto his mom's blog for the first time that he'd REALLY want to see that?

And Kerri, I remember a time I was asked to take out the garbage, when I emptyed the dishwasher, helped cook dinner if Audrey wasn't feeling well, set the table, vacuumed, washed the table, and even cleaned the basement (all of which I did more than once) and I never really thought it all that strange. maybe it was just becuase I spent so much time over at your house (my house accross the street?) that it seemed that I SHOULD be doing chores :)

(oh, still miss that spicy skillet pasta!)